Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Active Hands


My time at Cal Poly has come to an end,and I finally graduated. My last summer in San Luis Obispo has been relaxing. Everything seems a lot more quiet, although I still feel anxious to produce or make things as if there was a critique next week.

I have been trying to keep my hands active and make something everyday. I have continued my process of combining various lines and marks on different layers, but have changed scale from a large format to 11"x14" or smaller. The scale shift has been the hardest to adjust to. It is more difficult to create spatial depth, interplay, and movement on a smaller scale. The layers got denser at a much faster rate, which overwhelmed the support.

I needed to create more space or interaction between foreground and background layers. I then began to cut out areas of the layered composition, breaking the dense atmosphere into multiple objects. Adhering the cut outs to new supports helped turn the objects back into atmosphere. This series of drawings took the shape of mountains, describing nature and land through layers of line and mark. They were also inspired by the spontaneous gestures Zen master painters would use in order to achieve the essence of nature without rendering it to the fullest.

Mountain 1
Ink, charcoal, graphite, tracing paper on paper 11"x 14" 2011

Mountain 2
Ink, charcoal, graphite, tracing paper on paper 11"x 14" 2011

Mountain 3
Ink, charcoal, graphite, tracing paper on paper 11"x 14" 2011

Mountain 4
Ink, charcoal, graphite, tracing paper on paper 8.5"x 11" 2011

Mountain 5
Gouache on paper 11"x 14" 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment